Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Water, Water, Everywhere

Yesterday as I was walking to the post office I noticed a huge mound of snow and thought to myself, “I sure hope we have a slow thaw. I don’t know where all this water will end up if we don’t!”

Then I found out.

I had Landon’s family over last night for a Mardi Gras Honduran meal. Keith said he thought he heard water and looked up….right at a ceiling tile about to explode! We ended up having to move two totally ruined ones and a few partly soaked ones only to discover significant water damage.

I live above a laundry mat, and right out my “dining room” window is an exhaust pipe. It appears that the heat from the pipe is melting the snow, but as it has nowhere to go because of all the ice backed up in the drain pipes, it wiggled its way into my apartment!!



It began as an annoying trickle and has morphed into a constant stream. Keith came back this morning and created a makeshift water catcher with a tarp and bucket that seems to be catching 80% of the water. My clever bucket and paper towel combos seem to be getting the rest of it.

Oy vey.

Hopefully the guy Keith hired to knock all the snow down will get here soon. I’m beginning to wonder what will happen in the whole, water-clogged insulation mess comes down….I’ll get my very own sky light!!

Going to get my Ashes tonight. Happy Lent.

No comments: