Friday, February 12, 2010

Uncommon Sense

I love reading. Usually I have three or four books going at one time. Right now I have more, I think…..I’m not even sure how many! But I can knock one of my list, which turned out to be one of the best, most inspiring books I’ve read in a long time. It was “Sense of the World: How a Blind Man Became History’s Greatest Travelers” by Jason Roberts.

I read and reread Robert’s words:
“As best as can be reconstructed, by October of 1846, when Holman stepped off the Channel packet, his travels totaled no less than a quarter of a million miles…Alone, sightless, with no prior command of native languages and with only a wisp of funds, he has forged a path equivalent to wandering to the moon.”

It is easy for me, and most, I assume, to make excuses for why we are not creating the life we truly want or are living up to the potential that God has placed in us. Most people don’t, I believe. So why should I be any different? Why take incredible steps to live an inspired, creative, world-changing life? All of us have a matter of chips against us. That is just how things are.

But…

There are some people who simple take excuses away. James Holman was one such person. He had dozes of reasons to settle into a sheltered, simple, conventional life. Valid reasons! Poverty. Illness. No family. Interrupted Education. Loss of full sight at the age of 25!! But he ignored social stigma and common sense and created a life he could only imagine and a life that continues to inspire.

What will I do today to achieve my dreams?

No comments: